They say magic (the act of performing) gives you the opportunity to travel as well as the opportunity to meet many interesting people. And, that’s true!
In one particular performance, I remembered performing for a group of approximately 30 Catholic Missionaries from Jakarta at a hotel restaurant. My typical table-hopping routine that I have prepare for the diners transformed into an Area Magic performance. I had to tune up my voice to compete with the surrounding environment so that a quarter of the patrons (the entire group of Catholic Missionaries) at the restaurant could hear me.
At the end of the performance (besides the thunderous round of applause and receiving a generous tip of US$100), a medical doctor discreetly asked if I knew what I was doing. With a quizzical expression, I clarified what she meant by that question. She nervously explained my performance might be the “work of the devil”.
For those who are unaware; I am a Christian and I once had that question at the back of my mind. A careful study of the original definition of ‘magic’ in Hebrew or Greek in the Bible; simply means ‘witchcraft’.
Still not convinced, I educated her further with the aid of a little demonstration of a kids illusion that everyone knows.
Now that surely can’t be the work of the devil. Magic (or a safer term ‘conjuror’) is merely an act of illusion, sleight of hand (unless if you’re a Mentalist) otherwise a trick of the mind. And we do this because we want to “create a better world for our audience” (Lu Chen).
On the contrary, magic is quite popular thing among churches (maybe because ATOM gets invited to church events). Gospel Magic is used as a tool to illustrate Christian messages.
According to studies revealed by United States Department of Labor, people tend to be “eye-minded”. Experimental psychologists and educators “suggest that approximately 83% of human learning occurs visually, and the remaining 17% through the other senses – 11% through hearing, 3.5% through smell, 1% through taste, and 1.5% through touch. The studies suggest that three days after an event, people retain 10% of what they heard from an oral presentation, 35% from a visual presentation, and 65% from a visual and oral presentation.”
Word of caution, the main message of the event should be the highlight of the event and NOT the magic performance or any sort of entertainment.
I would like to end this post by mentioning that every ATOM member is a Christian and we are honored to bless others with our performances (including churches). God has been the centre of ATOM. We thank God for “spiritual marketing” and tons of referrals we have gotten.
Hire ATOM to speak/coach/perform at your church, visit: http://www.MagicATOM.com.